Indonesia is a beautiful country with a rich cultural heritage, bustling cities, and scenic landscapes. If you’re planning to explore the country, you may want to consider getting a driving license. Having a driving license makes it easier to navigate the busy streets of Jakarta, drive along the scenic roads of Bali, and explore the many hidden gems that Indonesia has to offer.
This article outlines the procedure for obtaining a driving license in Indonesia, including the different types of licenses, the steps involved in getting one, and the relevant laws and regulations. To begin, let’s see the most frequently asked questions about getting a driving license in Indonesia for foreigners.
Types of Driving Licenses in Indonesia
There are several types of driving licenses available in Indonesia, each with its own set of requirements and restrictions. Here are the main types of driving licenses in Indonesia:
- A Class A license, which is for driving a motorcycle with an engine capacity of up to 250cc.
- A Class B1 license, which allows you to drive a car with an engine capacity of up to 3,500cc.
- A Class B2 license, which is for driving a car with an engine capacity of up to 1,500cc.
- A Class C license, which is for driving a bus or a truck.
- A Class D license, which is for driving a taxi or a rental car.
Procedure to Make a Driver’s License in Jakarta
Jakarta is the capital city of Indonesia, and the procedure for obtaining a driving license here is similar to that in other parts of the country. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to get a driver’s license in Jakarta:
- Take a written or theoretical test at the Jakarta Transportation Office. The test covers traffic rules, road signs, and basic driving knowledge. The test is available in English, but it’s advisable to bring an interpreter to assist in case of any language barrier.
- After passing the written test, you can proceed to take the practical or driving test. You need to provide a car or a motorcycle for the driving test. If you do not have a car or motorcycle, you can rent one from a driving school or from private parties.
- Pass an eye exam. Before taking the driving test, you need to pass an eye exam. You can take the test at any optical store, and the results must be verified by the doctor.
- Take the driving test. The driving test assesses your driving skills and your ability to follow traffic rules. You need to demonstrate your ability to drive safely and responsibly in different traffic conditions.
- Obtain your driver’s license. After passing the driving test, you can obtain your driver’s license at the Jakarta Transportation Office. You need to bring your old driving license, a passport, and a recent photo.
Renewing your Driver’s License
A driver’s license in Indonesia is valid for five years, after which it needs to be renewed. You can renew your license by visiting the Jakarta Transportation Office and taking a simple vision test. You need to bring your old driving license, a passport, and a recent photo.
International Drivers’ Licenses
Indonesia recognizes international driving licenses, but they are only valid for six months. After six months, you need to obtain a local driver’s license.
Procedure For Making a Driver’s License in Bali
Bali is a popular tourist destination, and many foreigners visit the island every year. If you’re planning to explore Bali by car or motorcycle, you may want to consider getting a driver’s license. The procedure for obtaining a driver’s license in Bali is similar to that in Jakarta, with a few differences:
- The Bali Transportation Office provides the tests in English and other foreign languages, making
- it easier for foreigners to understand and pass the tests.
- The written or theoretical test covers traffic rules, road signs, and basic driving knowledge, similar to the test in Jakarta.
- The practical or driving test is also similar to the test in Jakarta, and you need to provide a car or a motorcycle for the test
- You need to pass an eye exam before taking the driving test, similar to the procedure in Jakarta.
- After passing the driving test, you can obtain your driver’s license at the Bali Transportation Office. You need to bring your old driving license, a passport, and a recent photo.
One Day License for Tourists
If you’re a tourist visiting Indonesia, you can obtain a one-day driving license that allows you to drive a car or motorcycle for one day. The license is valid throughout Indonesia and can be obtained at the airport or at any police station. You need to provide your passport, an international driving license, and pay a fee.
Samsat is a vehicle registration and renewal system in Indonesia. When you register your vehicle, you will be given a registration number and a sticker that you need to display on your vehicle. You also need to pay a yearly fee to renew your vehicle registration.
A Special Note for Motorcyclists
Indonesia has a high number of motorcycle accidents, and it’s important to exercise caution and follow traffic rules when driving a motorcycle. Wearing a helmet is mandatory, and failure to wear one can result in fines or even imprisonment. It’s also important to be aware of the traffic laws and to avoid reckless driving.
Driving License Laws in Indonesia
In Indonesia, the legal age for driving is 17 years old. You need to have a valid driver’s license to drive a vehicle, and driving without a license is illegal. The legal blood alcohol limit for driving is 0.05%, and driving under the influence of drugs is strictly prohibited.
In conclusion, obtaining a driving license in Indonesia can be a straightforward process for foreigners if you follow the steps outlined in this article. Whether you’re planning to explore the bustling streets of Jakarta or the scenic roads of Bali, having a driver’s license can make your travels more convenient and enjoyable. It’s important to exercise caution and follow traffic rules when driving in Indonesia, and to renew your license regularly to ensure that it remains valid.
Frequently Asked Questions About How To Get a Driving License in Indonesia for Foreigners
- Can foreigners get a driving license in Indonesia?
Yes, foreigners can get a driving license in Indonesia, as long as they meet the requirements and pass the necessary tests.
- Do you need an international driving license in Indonesia?
Foreigners who want to obtain a driving license in Indonesia do not need an international driving license, but it is recommended to have one to avoid any potential issues with authorities or car rental companies.
- What driving permit do I need for Indonesia?
To drive in Indonesia, you need a valid driving permit, which can be either an Indonesian driving license or an international driving license.
- Can I drive in Indonesia with UK license?
If you have a UK driving license, you can use it to drive in Indonesia for up to six months from the date of your arrival. After six months, you will need to obtain an Indonesian driving license or an international driving license to continue driving legally in Indonesia. It’s important to note that you may need to obtain an Indonesian driving license or an international driving license earlier than six months if you plan to stay in Indonesia for an extended period or reside there permanently.
Get your driving license With Seven Stones Indonesia!
If you’re ready to hit the road and need legal assistance to get your driving license, then look no further than Seven Stones Indonesia! Our experienced legal professionals will guide you through the process, ensuring that you have all the necessary documentation and meet all the requirements to obtain your license. With our expert knowledge and personalized attention, you can rest assured that you’ll be on the road in no time. Contact Seven Stones Indonesia today at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us help you get behind the wheel!